Saturday, January 8, 2011

This weekend's projects

Today I got the new fabric for Megan's dress.  I am so pleased with Denver Fabrics, not only for having the elusive navy polka dot fabric I've been trying to find for almost 2 months, but also for getting it to me so quickly. 
It's going through a pre-wash right now and then I have my work cut out for me (hehe, get it?) for the rest of the weekend.  I'm very happy with this fabric, it's a good quality and the subtle sheen to it looks great against the dark skirt-as you can see.

Of course there will be plenty of pictures in the next day or two as I finish up Megan's dress.  I'm excited!




 I also have a hat I am knitting this weekend.  Aidan's teacher is due to have her first baby in a week and her last day at school is Monday so Aidan asked me yesterday to make a  hat for her baby.  Last minute requests are par for the course with Aidan but that's ok because the pattern I am using is so simple and fast.  In fact, I am considering using it to make more newborn beanies to donate to hospitals in the area.  I think that would be a fun and easy little project.

As you can see I'm almost done with this one and I suspect it would go even quicker if I had the right needles.  Yes, I am knitting this on a pair of double pointed needles with rubber bands on the ends.  I just didn't have the right size in regular needles and didn't have time to go buy some since this is so last minute.  Hey, ghetto needles for the win right?  Either way, it should be a cute hat and was a fun, small project using only the basic ribbing and stockinette stitches.  I would highly recommend this project for someone new to knitting. 
I found the pattern on a website called Touching Little Lives.




Last but not least I started Thayer's stocking hat hat while waiting for the polka dot fabric to be delivered.  I'll finish it up after the dress is done but I am pleased with this hat because I taught myself a new stitch. 
It is the seed stitch or moss stitch (the bumpy looking stripe in the middle) and was actually pretty cool to see as I got further along.  It was simple and easy to  learn and I really like how it looks.  If I measured right the seed stitch portion of the hat should be around the widest part of his head just before the hat droops down in back.  The yarn colors wouldn't have been my first choice but he insisted...so the hat looks kind of like a black and white calico cat.  What a surprise, considering it was chosen by Thayer the Cat Boy.

So, crazy project weekend for me!  Amazingly I somehow have a clean house too.  I don't know how it happened but I'm not about to question miracles.

No comments: