Tuesday, January 4, 2011

How to replace a bodice-Part II

Today I put the bodice back together for Megan's dress.  I was actually very happy with how easily it went together.  Especially since I went through such miracles as not running out of bobbin thread, not breaking any needles and not screwing up my serger tension.  Amazing!

However, the more I worked with the fabric the less I liked it.  What I had thought was a "dark navy/almost black" polka dot is looking more and more like a "black/totally black!" polka dot.  Especially after seeing it in sunlight coming in the front window while I was sewing.  Maybe I should carry bolts of fabric out into the sunlight before buying them from now on...hmmmm.....
 
 So again I searched every fabric store I could find online with very little luck-it seemed like everything that was the right color was just not the right fabric-it'd be too gauzy or a jersey knit or something else that would not match the style of the dress.

But I finally found a fabric that is NOT "almost black," it's definitely a navy dot and it's sateen shirting, which I think will work fabulously with the skirt.  I guess this makes the "almost black" dots my mockup, which is funny because I never make a mockup.  I'm just frankly too lazy for it.  I'd rather spend 20 minutes with a seam ripper. ;)

Aside from realizing that I need to cut down on the seam allowance bulk at the center front I have no other issues with how the bodice went together.  I hope to be able to convert this bodice into a blouse for Megan though, no sense in wasting it.

And hey, check out those darts and tucks!  Niiiiiccee!  Like I said, it was a day of miracles. 

3 comments:

Because I'm the Mommy said...

It looks great, Ruthie! You could make a great broach out of that fabric...

Ruth said...

Thanks! As always, you are welcome to my scraps for any crafty ideas you may have. :)

GirlyWarrior said...

I'm impressed. Love the dress, way cool.