Friday, December 31, 2010

Project notebook

If you're like me you find yourself "accidentally" in a fabric or craft store quite often.  Usually I'll end up finding something that I know would go great with a project I want to do but I don't know how much of the fabric I'll need or if the trim I found will match what I'm working on.

This is where my project notebook comes in handy.  It's small enough to keep in my purse and  I write the pattern or project idea at the top of the page and on that page I will keep track of fabrics or trims I've picked out, what color thread I'm using, etc.  Any information that would come in handy should I "accidentally" find myself in a fabric store looking at something I think would go great with whatever I'm working on at the time.

On the inside front cover I have my own measurements, as well as those of people I sew frequently for.  On the inside back cover I have the phone numbers of local fabric and craft stores, which has proven to be handy if I'm out and need to check their inventory or hours.

You can see in the picture, the left page has ideas for what I can use to make one of my son's Halloween costumes.  The right page is a prairie dress I made for shooting.  I used Gutermann thread on that dress and so just have the color written at the bottom of the page.  However, if I use a thread that has stickers on the ends I will put that sticker on the page along with the fabric swatches.

I have also created a page of swatches of my stash fabrics so that if I come across trim I like I can see if it matches anything I already have in my stash.

1 comment:

Kara said...

That's brilliant! I need to do that. I always have projects I want to do but when I actually make it to a fabric store I never know how much I need!